The British Council is conducting an online course on Action research for a period of 5 months for teachers of all subjects. The aim of this course is to involve teachers in an interactive and effective learning journey through innovative, digital delivery modules. The course will also help teachers identify problems in their classrooms or contexts and be able to develop solutions for them.
What is action research?
Action research is a set of techniques used to help improve teaching and learning for the teacher and student in any form of classroom setting. Action research involves identifying an issue related to the learning in the classroom/setting, reviewing any relevant literature around the issue, planning a research strategy, collecting and analysing data, taking action, and finally, sharing findings. Action research has been proposed as an ‘empowering’ procedure where the aim is not to turn the teacher into a researcher, but to help him or her continue to develop as a teacher, using action research as a tool in this process.
Aِِbout the training
- Language of the training: the training will be delivered in Arabic for teachers of all subjects and in English for English teachers.
- The training includes a set of modules on action research and its mechanisms of application within classrooms to identify problems related to teaching and learning problems. These modules provide an in-depth knowledge on such areas through online virtual classes managed by the British Council e-moderators. Teachers will be involved in a learning journey as part of community of practice to share experiences, gain best practices and address the difficulties and challenges they face in their work.
- Duration of the training: the training will be delivered over a period of 5 months that will include:
- Involving teachers in planning for their professional development and measuring their needs.
- Offering one training module per month on one of the themes mentioned above.
- Involving teachers in forum discussions where ideas are shared within a specific time-frame related to the theme of the module.
- Involving teachers in working on papers and collaborative tasks in order to stimulate an interactive learning throughout the whole training.
- The online activities will be implemented through the British Council platforms and planning for the training will be designed in coordination with the participating teachers to ensure smooth implementation of the modules schedule.
- The training starts from October 2019 till March 2019.
- Participating teachers will receive a certificate of completion from the British Council
- Training is free of charge.
Participation and registration
To participate in this program, you must have the following criteria:
- The participant must be a teacher of primary level with at least 5 years of experience.
- The participant must be teaching at the period of the training and not retired or stopped working (the teacher must be responsible for a classroom of at least 25 students).
- For teachers of English, the level of their language should not be less than B2.
- The participant must have a laptop or computer so they can access the online course.
- The participant must have a good internet connection service.
- The participant must be eager to commit to the training requirements.
If you are interested in developing your teaching career through this online course with the British Council and you meet all the above requirements, please download the application form, fill it out, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 5, 2019.
Due to the volume of applications, only the selected teachers will be contacted within one month after the application deadline.
The applications will be evaluated by an experienced panel that consists of the British Council teachers’ trainers and experts in the field. Applications will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- The relevance of the candidate’s past experience to the training
- Their motivation to take part in the course
- The clear and precise demonstration of problems and challenges that teacher faces in his/her classroom and how Action Research can help in developing solutions for them
For any questions or enquiries, please contact us at: email@example.com.